Piedmont is proud of its long athletic tradition. Athletics are at the center of student life in Piedmont, and the renewal of the Athletics Complex has long been considered necessary, yet cost prohibitive. Seventy percent of our high school students participate in athletics, but are faced with antiquated and often unusable facilities and equipment.
This summer, PUSD will begin the much needed construction to replace the foundation, drainage system, turf and track. The cost of this project is approximately $4.9 million and is being funded by a state facilities grant.
The restoration and protection of Witter Field is critical. The District last replaced the synthetic turf and track at Witter Field in 2007 and these materials are now at the end of their useful life. The underground drainage system has deteriorated, and even moderate rain can lead to flooding and field closures.
But there are related facilities that are also in need of repair. Student athletes would benefit from improvements to the weight room, training center, locker and team rooms, and bathrooms. Families and spectators would appreciate updated scoreboards on the turf field, softball and hardball fields, not to mention much needed upgrades for the softball field, snack bar facilities, sound systems, and roofing.
Witter Field is in dire need of repair. We are reaching out to our community to help fund the “critical extras” that will not be covered in the district project.
The “Critical Extras”
If we raise $750,000 – $1,000,000, we could fund the following additional projects:
- State-of-the-art multi-sport scoreboards for the turf field, softball and hardball fields.
- Updated A/V systems to support our games and events.
- Conversion of outfield storage (located on the west side of the track) to a training facility.
- Updated Weight Room with improved ventilation, equipment and trainer’s office.
- Updated Snack Shack with working appliances, improved ventilation and work space.
- Renovated Women’s and Men’s Locker Rooms with improved amenities (HVAC improvements, hot water, self-filling water stations, etc.)
- Improvements at the Softball Field, including updated batting cage, new padding for backstops, outfield and bullpen
- Additional right field netting for the baseball field to stop fly balls
If we raise between $1,000,000 to $1,500,000, we can make improvements at Binks Gym (scheduled for 2024) that could include:
- Renovated locker rooms
- New Roof (approximately $345,000)
- New HVAC
- Improved sound system
- Bleachers repair
- Refinished floor
If we raise more than $1,500,000, it might be possible to look at “wish list” items like refinishing the bleachers at Witter and renovating the Quad at Piedmont High School.
Naming and Recognition
There are 5 highly visible naming opportunities are available. If you are interested in naming opportunities, please email committee member Chris Hart at email@example.com.
- New training facility
- Existing weight room
- Snack Shack
- Women’s Locker Room and Men’s Locker Room
- Batting Cage at Softball Field
Fundraising will also include refurbishing the current Donor Recognition tiles and creating a new Donor Recognition wall at the Field house.
Please join us in this once in a generation opportunity to dramatically improve Piedmont sports facilities.
The Fund for Witter Committee